The National Oncology Biochemistry Reference Laboratory under the Division of National Public Health Laboratory (NPHL) provides specialized tests on referral basis relevant to non-communicable diseases (NCD’s) screening, diagnosis and surveillance to physicians, health care providers, and epidemiologists for the benefit of the patient and population. The laboratory was set up in November 2013 in order to address the rising burden of cancer and other non-communicable diseases.
The NOBRL is located on the ground floor of the NPHL Block A complex opposite Afya Annex, Kenyatta National Hospital grounds off Ngong road, in Nairobi Kenya. The facility opens from 8.00 AM to 5.00 PM from Monday to Friday except on public holidays and weekends but remains open when need arises.
- Immunology section – Endocrinology testing: Thyroid function tests, fertility testing, Tumour marker tests, drugs of abuse and therapeutic drugs monitoring
- Molecular section – HPV DNA testing, Cancer genomics
- Biochemistry section – Liver function tests, renal function tests, lipid profiles, glucose metabolism tests, bone metabolism tests
- Histopathology section – Histology, Immunohistochemistry
- Cytopathology section – Gyne and non gyne cytology
- Hematology section – Screen for blood related disorders